Monday, May 12, 2014

Blog 21: Mentorship

Content:

LIA Response to blog:
    Literal
·    Mrs. Smith at Cortez Elementary
    Interpretive
    I have learned so many things that have helped through out this year. I have learned that students, especially younger students, are very unpredictable. For example two students might get into a heated argument over something as small as paper. I have also learned how to better control my frustrations around the students and to exercise much need patience when tutoring students with homework (more precisely math). I also learned how to better organize and create lessons plans and activities for the students to use on their free time.Perhaps the most important thing I have learned from my mentorship  is just how hard and stressful teaching kids really is. Before this I thought teaching middle school must be a pain in the butt ,but now I see that young children are challenging in their own way.  
   Applied
     How has what you’ve done helped you to answer your EQ?  Please explain.
What I have done has helped me really connect what I have been reading to real life. For example I had just finished reading an article about the Mozart affect and how music helps students recollect material better. I would then go back to class just to see that the students are being taught a lesson in math by making up song or learning how to spell through a song. My mentor would help me by talking to me about why she would do things most of the little pointers she would tell me would mostly come from her over 20 years experience, but sometimes she would refer me to an article or small book that would talk about mnemonic devices or tips for new teachers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment